Outbreaks of diarrhea-causing cryptosporidium are increasing 13% each year, and 7,465 cases of crypto infection were reported from 2009 through 2017. The number of outbreaks reached 444, according to the agencyâs report released last week.
But itâs not just crypto that swimmers have to be wary of. The CDC says 493 outbreaks of some kind of bacteria, parasite, or chemical between 2000 and 2014 were associated with recreational facilities, including pools, hot tubs, and playgrounds, and caused 27,219 cases and eight deaths. Most of those deaths were caused by bacteria or other pathogens, and 6% by chemicals.
Just last month, about 50 people were exposed to chlorine gas after a pump malfunctioned at a public swimming pool in Utah. The pump shot too much chlorine out of a jet in what local police called a âfreak accident.â
Of the outbreaks caused by bacteria and viruses, 58% were caused by cryptosporidium, which causes diarrhea that can last for up to 3 weeks. Thirteen percent were from pseudomonas, which causes hot tub rash and swimmerâs ear. Another 16% came from legionella, which causes Legionnaireâs disease and a milder illness with flu-like symptoms known as Pontiac fever.
âSwallowing just a mouthful of water with crypto in it can make otherwise healthy kids and adults sick for weeks with watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, and vomiting,â says Michele Hlavsa, chief of the CDCâs Healthy Swimming Program.
Every year, at least 15 to 20 outbreaks of diseases, like stomach bugs and diarrhea, are linked to swimming in public pools, according to the CDC.
When entering a public pool, the scent of chlorine shouldnât be a green light to jump right in. What youâre smelling isnât clean water. It is, in fact, the opposite.
Mary Ostrowski, senior director of chlorine issues at the American Chemistry Council, says, âProperly treated swimming pools do not have a strong chemical odor. When chlorine in pool water combines with substances such as dirt, body oils, sweat, urine, and fecal matter from swimmers' bodies, chemical irritants called chloramine are produced.Â
âIt is chloramines in pool water, not chlorine, that give off that chemical odor and cause swimmersâ eyes to sting and redden,â Ostrowski says.
So that strong smell that hits your nose signifies that the poolâs water is dirty and should have its chlorine and pH levels tested. Once chloramines levels reach a point where you can smell them, they can irritate your eyes, skin, and nose.
Germs like crypto, E. coli, and giardia are spread in public pools where chlorine and pH levels are too low. Symptoms of all three illnesses include diarrhea, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, dehydration, and stomach cramps.
There is also the problem of swimmers using pools as toilets. In 2017, researchers at the University of Alberta tested water at 31 swimming pools and hot tubs and found high levels of the artificial sweetener acesulfame potassium from each location. Their only conclusion? People were urinating in the pools and hot tubs and releasing the sweetener through their pee.
Urine alone is not the problem, but it mixes with chlorine and sweat to create toxic compounds, researchers say.
The answer to these problems isnât pouring more chlorine in the water. Chlorine should be added in moderation or else it will harm the swimmers. Improperly chlorinated water puts swimmers at risk for dermatitis, skin infections, and rashes.
Saltwater pools, while refreshing, are not the answer to a âchemical freeâ alternative. Saltwater pools use chlorine, too.
Here are some tips to protect you and your kids when the temperatures rise and the public pool is the only thing that will cool the heatwave:
3d Effect Christmas Tree
CDC: âOutbreaks Associated with Treated Recreational Water â United States, 2000â2014,â âCryptosporidiosis Outbreaks â United States, 2009â2017,â âParasites - Cryptosporidium (also known as âCryptoâ).â
Bubble Wall, Water Bubble Wall, Led Water Bubble Wall - Mainstar,https://www.ms-bw.com/